Everyone who has some previous knowledge of a language, but is new to the program at Carolina, is required to take a placement test if you intend to take language classes.

If you only wish to satisfy the language requirement, that can be done in three ways:

  • taking the placement test
  • submitting standardized test scores
  • having the requirement waived if you are a native speaker of another language.

For more details on these options, see the FAQ.

The next round of placement testing will be at the start of spring semester, on Tuesday, January 10.

Due to adverse weather, all placement tests that were scheduled for Tuesday, January 10 have been rescheduled for later in the week.  Go ahead and submit this webform (at the link below) and we’ll email you with information on what the new plan is.  If you hope to take a class this spring, you should go ahead and attend it until you are able to take the placement test.

Click here to sign up for a placement test in Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Hindi-Urdu, Japanese, Korean, Persian, or Turkish.

New students register for fall classes over the summer, but won’t have the opportunity to take Asian-language placement tests until fall.  Consequently, you are encouraged to go ahead and enroll during the summer for whatever language level you think might be right for you. To help you make that choice, there are self-assessment guides available in several languages:

Self-assessment guide in Arabic | Chinese | Hebrew | Hindi-Urdu | Japanese Korean

(If you are enrolling in Persian or Turkish, we’re sorry there is not currently a self-assessment guide available. Take your best guess.)

This self-assessment is not a substitute for the formal placement test (which you should also sign up for), but will increase your chances of picking the right course, so that when you get your placement result, you’ll already be enrolled in the right class. If you are placed at a level other than what you had predicted, you’ll need to drop that class and switch to the correct level (which the department can help you with if needed).